BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – WKU rolled out the red carpet, literally, on Thursday night as
Hilltoppers and Lady Toppers from all of WKU’s sport programs joined in an evening
of dinner, highlights, memories and of course, awards.
Emceed by former WKU letterman Doug Gorman, WKU Athletics handed out 20 awards
ranging from Scholar-Athlete of the Year to Rookie of the Year to Team of the Year.
Beginning with a dinner and photo opportunity on the floor of E.A. Dinner Arena,
WKU’s student-athletes celebrated the achievements of their fellow red towel wavers.
The awards ceremony itself was held across the Avenue of Champions in the Downing
Student Union Auditorium.
Beginning with the Community Outreach Award, awarded by “Hope for Harlie’s” Harlie
Bryant to volleyball’s Sydney Engle and by WKU Best Buddies John Michael Huffman to
football’s Julien Lewis, the football team took home the overall community service
Academically, a two-way tie for the men’s Scholar-Athlete of the Year resulted in
baseball’s Ben Morrison and football’s Nicholas Coffey taking home joint honors. On
the women’s side, soccer’s Sarah Gorham’s extensive academic resume netted her the
After becoming the first 1,000-1,000 club member since Jim McDaniels in 1971, men’s
basketball’s Justin Johnson broke the football program’s six-year stranglehold on
the male athlete of the year award as he took home the award for Mr. Hilltopper. In
a tight race with championship winners and record breakers up and down the ballot
sheet, volleyball’s Jessica Lucas helped the volleyball program repeat as Ms.
A complete list of the winners is below:
1. Male Community Outreach Award – Julien Lewis, Football
2. Female Community Outreach Award – Sydney Engle, Volleyball
3. Team Community Outreach Award – Football
4. Male Rookie of the Year-Taveion Hollingsworth, Men’s Basketball
5. Female Rookie of the Year – Raneem Elgedawy, Women’s Basketball
6. Men’s Scholar Team of the Year – Men’s Golf
7. Women’s Scholar Team of the Year – Women’s Tennis
8. (tie) Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year – Ben Morrison, Baseball
9. (tie) Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year – Nicholas Coffey, Football
10. Female Scholar Athlete of the Year- Sarah Gorham, Soccer
11. Best Male Record-Breaking Performance – Taveion Hollingsworth, Men’s Basketball
12. Best Female Record-Breaking Performance – Volleyball
13. Head Coach of the Year – Travis Hudson, Volleyball
14. Support Staff of the Year – Duane Hall, Strength & Conditioning
15. Administrator of the Year – Lisa Schneider, Senior Woman Administrator
16. Best Comeback Award – Track & Field
17. Best Upset Award – Men’s Basketball
18. Mr. Hilltopper Award – Justin Johnson, Men’s Basketball
19. Ms. Hilltopper Award – Jessica Lucas, Volleyball
20. Overall Team Performance – Men’s Basketball