BOWLING GREEN, Ky. – WKU will seek to finish with a perfect home record in conference play for the first time since 2007-08 on Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. as the Lady Toppers take on Old Dominion inside E.A. Diddle Arena, with Kendall Noble, Micah Jones and Ima Akpan set to be honored for Senior Day.
The Lady Toppers lead the all-time series against the Lady Monarchs 13-8 and have won each of the last seven meetings, including all six since both have been members of C-USA. WKU earned a 67-62 win in Norfolk against Old Dominion on Jan. 7 earlier this season.
Old Dominion enters Saturday’s matchup on a three-game winning streak and defeating Marshall, 94-85, in its last time out on Thursday. The 94 points scored in Huntington were the most by the Lady Monarchs in a single game this season.
Entering Saturday, Old Dominion owns the nation’s second-leading scorer in Jennie Simms at 25.6 points per game. Fellow Lady Monarch Destinee Young is the only C-USA player averaging a double-double for the season at 11.3 points and 10.8 rebounds, and Simms also leads the team with 113 assists but has also committed 142 turnovers.
Following Saturday’s game, WKU will finish the regular season on the road next week with visits to North Texas (Thursday) and Rice (Saturday) on the calendar.
GAME #28 – WKU VS. OLD DOMINION
WKU (21-6, 13-2 C-USA) vs. Old Dominion (15-10, 10-5 C-USA)
February 25, 2017 | 2:00 p.m. (CT)
Bowling Green, Ky. | E.A. Diddle Arena (7,326)
WKU Game Notes
– Redshirt seniors Kendall Noble and Micah Jones have combined to see 124 victories during their careers on The Hill, the most in a five-year span for the program since 1990-95 under legendary head coach Paul Sanderford.
– With a victory on Saturday, WKU would finish with a perfect 9-0 home record in conference play for the first time since joining C-USA. The Lady Toppers have not had a perfect home record against conference opponents in a single season since going 9-0 as a member of the Sun Belt in 2007-08.
– WKU’s 185 three-pointers this season already rank fourth in a single season in program history. The Lady Toppers need just eight more triples to pass the program record of 192 set during the 2014-15 campaign.
– Under Michelle Clark-Heard, WKU has trailed by double digits in 41 games and has rallied to win 18 times (43.9 percent of the time) when facing a double-digit deficit. Seven of those victories have come in the last two seasons alone, including wins this season after trailing by 14 (Kent State) and 13 (UAB and Charlotte).
– Redshirt senior Micah Jones became the 38th member of WKU’s 1,000-point club with a season-best 16 points at UAB on Feb. 18. Jones is the third active Lady Topper to join the club after teammates Kendall Noble and Tashia Brown and is also the fifth player to reach the mark under Michelle Clark-Heard. WKU is one of just nine Division I programs with three or more active 1,000-point scorers.
– Jones leads all C-USA players and ranks second among all Division I players with a 3.65 assist-to-turnover ratio this season. Jones has dished out 113 assists to just 31 turnovers and now ranks seventh on WKU’s career charts in the category with 418 assists.
– With at least four guaranteed games remaining on the schedule, Micah Jones and Kendall Noble appear set to finish in the top five for career appearances among Lady Toppers in program history. With four more appearances, Jones would tie for second alongside Laura Ogles with 134, while Noble would match the 132 appearances by Veronica Cook and tie for fourth in school history.
– Kendall Noble became the all-time leader in minutes played in Lady Topper history in last week’s win at Middle Tennessee. The redshirt senior currently sits at 4,214 minutes played and is one of just three players in school history to play 4,000 or more minutes.
– With Micah Jones joining the 1,000-point club, WKU has a trio of 1,000-point scorers on the same team for just the second time in school history. Kendall Noble, Tashia Brown and Jones have matched the feat achieved by Lillie Mason, Kami Thomas and Clemette Haskins during the 1985-86 campaign.
– As a team, WKU is currently fifth in the nation with just 11.5 turnovers per game, a number that also leads C-USA for fewest among the league’s teams.
– Ivy Brown has moved into the top 10 on WKU’s all-time career blocked shots list. Brown now has 85 swats for her career and sits in ninth place all-time for the Lady Toppers.
– WKU owns C-USA’s top-scoring offense through 27 games, averaging 75.3 points per outing. The Lady Toppers have scored 80 or more points nine times this season and have reached 90 points three times and trail only Louisville’s 75.5 points per game among teams in the state of Kentucky.
– Now sixth in school history with 179 three-pointers, Micah Jones needs just four more to pass Jaime Walz (1997-2000) for fifth place on the charts.
– WKU is shooting 381-of-494 (77.1 percent) from the free throw line this season, an improvement of nine percent from the 2015-16 season. Currently, WKU ranks 13th among all Division I teams in free-throw percentage this season.
– WKU broke the NCAA women’s basketball record for fewest points allowed in a half by holding Lipscomb to just two first-half points on Dec. 15. The mark was also the fewest in men’s basketball since the introduction of the shot clock. In addition, WKU had six players reach double figures for the first time since Jan. 21, 2009, in the victory, a stretch of nearly eight years.
Listen: 100.7 FM, 1450AM in Bowling Green (Barry Williams, pxp; Laurie Idlett, analysis)
Watch: WKUSports.tv (Online Stream)
Live Stats: WKUSports.com
– FREE PARKING FOR ALL FANS
– Senior Day: Kendall Noble, Micah Jones and Ima Akpan will be honored in a special ceremony following the game for their fantastic contributions to Lady Topper Basketball following their final regular season home game.
– Stockdale’s Critter Classic: Donate any item from the Bowling Green/Warren County Humane Society wish list and receive complimentary admission. The first 75 donations will receive a $10 off coupon to Stockdale’s.
– Fuqua Events Kids Zone: The inflatable fun zone for kids opens one hour prior to tipoff on the third level concourse of E.A. Diddle Arena and is free for all kids.
WKU Ticket Office: online at WKUSports.com, in person at E.A. Diddle Arena, via phone at 1-800-5-BIG Red or 745-5222 locally
How to Follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Basketball, visit WKUSports.com or follow the program via social media @LadyTopperHoops on Twitter, @LadyTopperHoops on Instagram and on Facebook at facebook.com/WKUWomensBasketball.