SAN FRANCISCO — WKU Tennis won its second match in the Golden State as the Lady Toppers won comfortably, 6-1, over San Francisco at the California Tennis Club Sunday evening.
Senior Elpida Malamou racked up her 10th victory of the season. The Greece native now boasts an unblemished 10-0 record, including six wins at the No. 1 spot.
WKU began Sunday’s match by winning the doubles point, its seventh time this spring. At the No. 3 spot, the pair of Violetta Shatalova and Monica Malinen took down the Dons’ duo of Alisha Sharma and Sarina Chhabra, 6-1, marking their third-straight win when working together. On court two, WKU’s Cindy Oest and Natalia De Ugarte played flawless by winning 6-0 as the freshmen duo won their seventh match to claim the doubles point.
Following doubles action, Malamou at the top spot continued her winning ways with toughing out a win over Emily Maxfield 6-4, 7-5. Andreanna Christopoulou followed suit defeating the Dons’ Genevieve McCloskey 6-3, 6-3. To clinch the match, De Ugarte cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win on court four to earn her sixth victory of the year.
The remaining matches were played out as Oest battled and won at the No. 3 spot 6-2, 7-5, and Shatalova held her own on court six winning 6-1, 6-3 to finish the dual match.
WKU will conclude its spring break trip on Tuesday as the Lady Toppers will compete against Pacific at noon in Stockton, Calif.
1. Elpida Malamou (WKU) def. Emily Maxfield (USF) 6-4, 7-5
2. Andreanna Christopoulou (WKU) def. Genevieve McCloskey (USF) 6-3, 6-3
3. Hanna Borjeson (USF) def. Monica Malinen (WKU) 7-5, 6-3
4. Cindy Oest (WKU) def. Margarita Treyes (USF) 6-3, 7-5
5. Natalia De Ugarte (WKU) def. Jiayu Mu (USF) 6-1, 6-1
6. Violetta Shatalova (WKU) def. Sarina Chhabra (USF) 6-1, 6-3
1. McCloskey/Maxfield (USF) vs. Christopoulou/Malamou (WKU) 2-3, unfinished
2. Oest/De Ugarte (WKU) def. Treyes/Borjeson (USF) 6-0
3. Shatalova/Malinen (WKU) def. Sharma/Chhabra (USF) 6-1
How to Follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Tennis, follow the program via social media @WKUTennis on Twitter.