SAN ANTONIO, Texas — In WKU Baseball’s annual trip to the Lone Star State, the club
goes head-to-head against UTSA for a three-game set from April 26-28. The
Friday-to-Sunday series between the Hilltoppers and Roadrunners will have first
pitch times of 6 p.m., 2 p.m. and 12 p.m., respectively.
The first two contests will feature righty Reece Calvert and lefty Troy Newell for
WKU, while UTSA will send righty Karan Patel to the bump on Friday night. Righty
Slater Foust is likely to make a start for the hosts on Saturday or Sunday.
* The Hilltoppers and Roadrunners will meet for the 13th, 14th and 15th times on
* Although WKU boasts a 7-5 all-time series advantage over UTSA, the Roadrunners
have outscored WKU 82-to-62 in the 12-game series.
* WKU and UTSA first met in 2015 when the Hilltoppers joined C-USA. WKU won
2-of-3 in the first series in San Antonio then swept the next set in Bowling
Green, but the Roadrunners have taken 2-of-3 in each of the past two seasons.
* WKU past week recaps: FRIDAY & SATURDAY vs. Florida Atlantic (L, 5-8 & W, 11-4)
SUNDAY vs. Florida Atlantic (L, 4-6) | TUESDAY vs. Kentucky (L 4-15)
* Last week, Friday starter Reece Calvert saw his first game action in 18 days
against the Owls at Nick Denes Field. In a rain-delayed game, the Plano, Texas,
native allowed three earned run over four frames. Calvert threw 42-of-71 pitches
for strikes and was able to rack up five strikeouts compared to only two walks.
* Right fielder Jake Sanford continues to lead C-USA hitters in virtually every
offensive category with a .423/.500/.885 slash line, 18 homeruns, 34 extra-base
hits, 55 runs batted in, 51 runs scored and 138 total bases. His .885 slugging
percentage actually leads the country, while his 138 total bases are second, 18
homeruns are fourth, 55 runs batted in are fifth, .423 batting average is seventh,
66 hits are 10th, 51 runs scored are 11th and .500 on-base percentage is 17th.
* The Hilltoppers are 4-11 outside the state of Kentucky, 6-12 wearing black
caps, 7-3 in one-run games, 2-9 on dirt/grass (at least infield), 5-0 when their
starter goes five-plus innings, 13-5-1 when the opponent’s starter goes fewer than
five innings, 15-11-1 when the opponent throws a righty, 11-6-1 when scoring
first, 9-3 when scoring in the first inning and 13-4 when out-hitting the
* UTSA past week recaps: THURSDAY vs. UAB (W, 12-1 )
SATURDAY DH vs. UAB (L, 3-7 & W, 4-1) | TUESDAY vs. Houston Baptist (W, 11-8)
* The Roadrunners enter the week with a 19-22 overall record, including an 8-10
mark in C-USA play
over the Huskies was the 200th of head coach Jason Marshall’s career.
* UTSA’s 8-10 mark in C-USA action is good for ninth in the league standings;
only two wins separate fourth-place WKU (9-8-1) and 10th-place FIU (7-11).
* A trio of hitters lead a Roadrunner offense that is collectively slashing
.307/.399/.445 through the first 18 games of the C-USA season. In those 18 games,
left fielder Ryan Stacy is slashing .403/.471/.542 and second baseman Bryan Arias
boasts a .389/.488/.500 slash line of his own. Meanwhile, first baseman Bryan
Sturges leads the team with 13 extra-base hits — including 11 doubles — and 17
runs batted in.
* Friday starter Karan Patel has been one of the most effective pitchers in
C-USA. Although his record is 3-4, he owns a 2.37 earned run average with 69
strikeouts in 65 innings. He has only allowed 21 walks and 52 hits, for a batting
average against of .218. Patel tossed six innings of one-run ball in the 12-1
victory over UAB last Thursday, allowing only two hits while striking out 12.
* Righty Slater Foust leads UTSA with a 5-1 record, while he has a 2.60 earned
run average across nine starts. He has only struck out 29 in 55 innings, but also
only allowed 53 hits and issued 16 walks. Foust pitched a seven-inning complete
game with two strikeouts on Sunday, leading the Roadrunners to a 4-1 win over UAB
by allowing only one run on four hits across 65 pitches.