- Baker breaks out in Red vs. White game
- WKU track and field posts 12 top-5 finishes
- Sanford introduces ‘Raise the W’
- Hilltopper signee Josh Anderson scores 23 in Iverson Classic
- WKU tennis falls to FIU in C-USA tournament
- Rockcastle Gun Show, April 20, 2017
- WKU tennis beats FAU, advances to round two
- WKU baseball hosts Rice for a doubleheader today
- WKU Track and Field lands in Georgia for GT Invitational
- Hilltoppers set for Red vs. White Spring Game
WKU tennis downs Evansville, 6-1
- Updated: March 25, 2017
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. — Since the inception of the WKU Tennis Complex in 2014, the Lady Toppers’ Tennis squad still has yet to lose a home match, downing Evansville, 6-1, Friday afternoon.
WKU (10-4) played in front of its home crowd for the first time this year and didn’t disappoint, pushing its record at the WKU Tennis Complex to 6-0.
The tandem of Elpida Malamou and Monica Malinen came out firing away in doubles, winning, 6-0, over Evansville’s (10-11) Theodora Soldatou and Chieko Yamada. At the No. 2 spot, freshmen Cindy Oest and Natalia De Ugarte won their fourth consecutive match as a duo, 6-1, to claim the doubles point. Andreanna Christopoulou and Lisa Friess topped it off winning a perfect 6-0 on court three.
In singles action, Oest won her fourth-straight match taking down UE’s Daria Penstova 6-2, 6-2. On court five, De Ugarte, who has a winning streak of her own at five matches, defeated Theodora Soldatou 6-1, 6-0. Claiming the Lady Topper victory was Christopoulou on court two as the senior won comfortably, 6-2, 6-3.
Play continued with Malinen beating the Purple Aces’ No. 3 in Nicoli Pereira 6-3, 6-2. The final two matches came down to the wire as both battles on courts one and six were three-setters.
Malamou got in a hole in the first set losing 6-4, but recovered and won 6-2, 10-2 over Yamada. The Greece native has now won 26-straight matches, dating back to last spring. Friess’ match was the opposite as she got up early, winning in set one 6-2, but was outlasted by Andreana Pascual-Larrinaga 7-5, 10-4.
WKU returns to action on March 31, heading to Chattanooga for its final regular season road match of the 2017 campaign. First serve is slated for 3 p.m. CT.
1. Elpida Malamou (WKU) def. Chieko Yamada (UE) 4-6, 6-3, 10-2
2. A. Christopoulou (WKU) def. Diana Tkachenko (UE) 6-2, 6-3
3. Monica Malinen (WKU) def. Nicoli Pereira (UE) 6-3, 6-2
4. Cindy Oest (WKU) def. Daria Pentsova (UE) 6-2, 6-2
5. Natalia De Ugarte (WKU) def. Theodora Soldatou (UE) 6-1, 6-0
6. Andrea Pascual-Larrinaga (UE) def. Lisa Friess (WKU) 2-6, 7-5, 10-4
1. Christopoulou/Friess (WKU) def. Soldatou/Yamada (UE) 6-0
2. De Ugarte/Oest (WKU) def. Tkachenko/Pereira (UE) 6-1
3. Malamou/Malinen (WKU) def. Brguljan/Pentsova (UE) 6-0
How to Follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Tennis, follow the program via social media @WKUTennis on Twitter.