- VIDEO: WKU head coach Mike Sanford
- VIDEO: WKU RB Quinton Baker
- VIDEO: WKU QB Mike White
- VIDEO: WKU DT Chris Johnson
- WKU, Southern Miss plays Senior Day softball doubleheader today
- Easton leads Tops on first day of C-USA Men’s Golf Championship
- Baker breaks out in Red vs. White game
- WKU track and field posts 12 top-5 finishes
- Sanford introduces ‘Raise the W’
- Hilltopper signee Josh Anderson scores 23 in Iverson Classic
Lady Toppers stay hot, beat Chattanooga, 4-1
- Updated: April 2, 2017
CHATTANOOGA, Tenn¬. — WKU Tennis put together a fine performance Friday evening at the Manker Patten Tennis Club as the Lady Toppers won their fifth-straight match defeating Chattanooga, 4-1.
WKU (11-4) played its final road battle of the regular season, tallying a 7-3 away mark on the year.
To start doubles play, the duo of Monica Malinen and Violetta Shatalova won on court three, 6-3, to improve their record to 5-1 when working together. The Mocs (12-5) responded at the No. 1 spot by a score of 6-3, though. With all eyes on court two, freshmen Cindy Oest and Natalia De Ugarte executed with the pressure on and outlasted Chattanooga’s Delaney Edwards and Syndey Patton, 7-5, to clinch the doubles point.
After capturing the point in doubles, Shatalova got back in action on court six after missing the last match versus Evansville due to injury, and didn’t miss a beat taking down the Mocs’ Mckenzie Barco 6-2, 6-3. Similar to doubles action, Chattanooga bounced back as Samantha Caswell downed WKU’s No. 1 Elpida Malamou 6-4, 6-4 – her first loss of the year – ending her incredible winning streak of 26 matches dating back to last spring, which is now the longest in WKU history.
Up 2-1, the Lady Toppers put an end to the comeback by winning the next two matches. Malinen posted her ninth win of the season, beating Edwards at the No. 2 spot 7-5, 6-2, and Oest won by the same score on court four to clinch the Lady Topper victory.
WKU returns to action for its last match of the season on April 13 at the WKU Tennis Complex, marking senior day for Andreanna Christopoulou and Malamou as the squad will clash against East Tennessee State at 11 a.m. CT.
1. Samantha Caswell (UTC) def. Elpida Malamou (WKU) 6-4, 6-4
2. Monica Malinen (WKU) def. Delaney Edwards (UTC) 7-5, 6-2
3. Sydney Patton (UTC) vs. Andreanna Christopoulou (WKU) 2-3, unfinished
4. Cindy Oest (WKU) def. Caroline Hall (UTC) 7-5, 6-2
5. Rachele Gazzola (UTC) vs. Natalia De Ugarte (WKU) 7-6, 1-2, unfinished
6. Violetta Shatalova (WKU) def. Mckenzie Barco (UTC) 6-2, 6-3
1. Caswell/Gazzola (UTC) def. Christopoulou/Friess (WKU) 6-3
2. Oest/De Ugarte (WKU) def. Edwards/Patton (UTC) 7-5
3. Malinen/Shatalova (WKU) def. Hall/Barco (UTC) 6-3
How to Follow the Lady Toppers: For complete information on WKU Lady Topper Tennis, follow the program via social media @WKUTennis on Twitter.